Monday, April 20, 2009

Tess Gerritsen: THE MEPHISTO CLUB



Tess Gerritsen
THE MEPHISTO CLUB
413 pages
Blanvalet
ISBN: 978-3-442-37138-9


NOTE: Picture and link for the English edition, ISBN and page count for the German edition!

So this is the third book I read for the read-a-thon. I'm still sad it is over, but it is true. But - I'm talking to a friend about this and maybe we'll have a surprise for you soon! Anyway, back to the book.

The Mephisto Club is the latest installment in Tess Gerritsen's Detective Jane Rizzoli and Dr. Maura Iles (at least in Germany, in the US The Keepsake was published last year). It has been approximately four months since the events in the last book, Vanish, where Jane Rizzoli gave birth to a baby girl at the end.

Now it is Christmas and Jane gets called to a gruesoe murder scene. A young woman has been murdered and her body has been severely mutilated. During the autopsy, Dr. Maura Iles realizes that there must be a second body, as the hand found with the woman's body is not hers.

Step by step, Gerritsen leads us anew into the world of murder. At first, the murder seems to be the result of a satanic ritual, but when a second body is found, the police gets some hints from a group of scientists who try to solve murders on their own. Based on this, it appears more and more that the murder was not part of a satanic ritual.

While it is very clear who is the murderer early on in the book, Gerritsen provides a few twists throughout the book that make it a must read not only for mystery and thriller readers, but also for those who like the unsuspected.

Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. I have this one in my TBR. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    I gave you an award. Please stop by and check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard really great things about this series. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne, I hope you'll enjoy The Mephisto Club as much as I did!
    And wow, thanks for the award :-)

    Beth: The series is awesome! I hope the next book will be translated soon (my Mom would probably not forgive me if I read one of the books in English as she enjoys it at least as much as I do!).

    ReplyDelete