Saturday, January 27, 2007

Susan Sussman with Sarajane Avidon - Audition for Murder

Lines to remember:
Grandma Belle was the only one who came right out and told me it served me right when Adam left me for Sylvia. "Maybe next time," she said, "you will be quicker to say yes."
"But what if it doesn't work out?" I ask.
"You want guarantees?"
"I don't like surprises."
She has a deep, throaty laugh. "Surprises are the best reason to keep living. If you know how the movie ends, why bother going? One man is only one man. There will always be plenty of other bees buzzing around your honey."


When struggling actress Morgan Taylor's partner Lily London doesn't arrive in time for the audition, she is really angry - until she finds the woman dead in a restroom cabin. At first everything looks like a heart attack, but when the police follow up after an anonymous caller stated it might have been murder, it soon is discovered that Lily London was poisoned. Morgan's leaving a threatening message on Lily's answering machine when she didn't arrive in time for the audition makes Morgan a suspect, but would she really kill for work?

I thoroughly enjoyed this first installment in a "series" consisting of two books only. There were some really funny scenes and the mystery part was well-written. Morgan's side kicks helped both for development of the story as well as for character development.

Thinking about it, I can't find a thing that came off in a negative way. For whatever reason I held off reading this book earlier, I now know I have to get the second in series as soon as possible. A pity the series is not continued after Cruising For Murder - if anyone knows why, please let me know!

P.S.: Whoever wrote this backcover blurb should be punished. Once half the "facts" or more are wrong it is fantasy, not a backcover blurb...

Rating: A-

This was the first book for the 2007 TBR challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment