Friday, June 15, 2007

Avalon High

Number: 52
Title: Avalon High
Author: Meg Cabot
Started: June 04, 2007
Finished: June 15, 2007
Pages: 280
Genre: YA

Where Book Came From: my TBR stack - well, I bought it on June 04, and started reading at the book store already...

First Sentence: "You are so lucky."

Cover Blurb: Avalon High, Ellie's new school, is pretty much what she'd expected. There's Lance, the hunky footballer; Jennifer, the cute cheerleader; Marco, the troublemaker. But the big surprise is Will - the most gorgeous guy Ellie's ever met.

When Will says he thinks he's known Ellie before, things start getting weird. A feeling that grows as Ellie discovers dark secrets that bind Lance, Jennifer, Marco, Will - and herself. Can she stop the horrific chain of events that threatens to engulf them all?

Reason For Reading: I love Meg Cabot's books and this one sounded great while reading the first two chapters. I actually had to make myself stop reading to buy the book, or I would probably have finished it then and there.

Comments: When I picked this book up I had already 4 or 5 other books going - and I read quite a few from cover to cover in between starting and finishing this book. But nonetheless, this book is just great!

Ms Cabot manages to connect history, the present and YA fiction really well in this one and despite the fact that I'd never heard of the Lady of Shalott I did some research and intend to continue gathering information on her. It is a fascinating story and I also enjoy Tennyson's poem.

This YA has it all, teenagers falling in and out of love, heroes and villains, family secrets, teenage life, popular and not so popular kids, sports...

And I have to say, I hope for another, unlikely as it is. I'd like to meet Will, Elli, Jennifer and Lance again, to see what happened to them. Also Mr. Morton!

Favorite Part: Probably when Elaine screamed when she opened her eyes while floating in the pool and saw Will sitting on Spider Rock. Or maybe the scene at the end, with the sword.

Let's just say there were a few, okay? LOL

Miscellaneous: I just checked Meg Cabot's site (the British was down, so I used the US site) and it says that I have to wait only about 17 days for the second in series. And there's also a comic book-style blurb on the book, which you can find here! Now I have to get my calendar to write it down, cause Amazon.de doesn't have the book up for pre-order yet *gr*

Rating: A-

1 comment:

  1. I like the new format, Kathrin. I keep thinking of ways to improve mine too. It's an ongoing process, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete