Saturday, September 1, 2007

Déjà Dead

Number: 90
Title: Déjà Dead
Author: Kathy Reichs
Started: August 9, 2007
Finished: August 17, 2007
Pages/Time: 532
Genre: forensic mystery
ISBN: 0-671-01136-7

Language: English

Where The Book Came From: From the ever-growing Mt. TBR.

First Sentence: I easn't thinking about the man ho'd blown himself up.

Cover Blurb: Her life is devoted to justice - for those she never even knew.
In the year since Temperance Brennan left behind a shaky marriage in North Carolina, work has often preempted her weekend plans to explore Quebec. When a female corpse is discovered meticulously dismembered and stashed in trash bags, Temoe detects an alarming pattern - and she plunges into a harrowing search for a killer. But her investigation is about to place those closest to her - her best friend and her own daughter - in mortal danger...

Reason For Reading: I loved the TV series Bones and heard so much about the books I just had to read the first one - and it also fitted in with the medical mystery challenge and the RBL Summer Mystery Challenge, which helped me speed up on reading it.

Comments: It has been a while since I read this book, but I'll try to get a good summary up. I found all the terms about forensic pathology really hard to understand at first, which distracted at me during the first few chapters and made it hard for me to concentrate in the story for more than an hour. But once I had gotten into the story it was flowing along just fine.
It sure is more hard-boiled that the other mysteries I read these past few months, but it was still comfortable to read. It was not overly bloody and Reichs used the "gory details" only in places where it made sense and added to the story line.
Of course, it was quite a difference after watching the TV show, especially because Tempe "all of a sudden" has a daughter and an ex-husband. It changes her character quite a bit in my opinion, but not necessarily to the bad...

Miscellaneous: There are quite a few differences between the TV show and the books, but I think both are good in their own ways! I'll sure enjoy both the next season of Bones and the next books with Tempe :)

Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment