Saturday, September 1, 2007

New Orleans Mourning

Number: 94
Title: New Orleans Mourning
Author: Julie Smith
Started: July 17, 2007
Finished: August 30, 2007
Time: 13 hours and 39 minutes
Genre: mystery

Language: English

Where The Book Came From: I got this one from audible.de.

Cover Blurb: [from audible.de] This Edgar Award-winning work offers a revealing glimpse into the hidden world of New Orleans high society and an intricately plotted murder mystery. The novel introduces rookie cop Skip Langdon, as she investigates a seamy Mardi Gras murder.

Everyone in town is shocked when Chauncey St. Amant, a prominent citizen and this year's King of Carnival, is killed on his parade float by a shooter in a Dolly Parton get-up. Skip Langdon is assigned the case because of her own upper-crust background. Skip's investigation takes her deep into the Garden District to dig up the St. Amant family skeletons and a dangerous ancient secret.

Reason For Reading: I wanted to try something completely new, something I hadn't heard anything about, so I picked this one. It sounded interesting, but I didn't remember anyone mentioning it.

Comments: My feelings about this book are ambivalent. When I first started listening to it, it was okay, then it got great. While I was on vacation, I made a break listening to it and once I was back, it felt bad. And when I had gotten back into the story it was great again - before it turned confusing!
I'm not sure whether I will read another of Smith's mysteries yet, but it is still possible. At first, though, I have to try to figure out what this book really was like. It's been a while since I felt so confused by a book!

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment