Saturday, June 23, 2007

Series Challenge (?!?)

As I already announced, I intend to host a challenge for all those of us book addicts who keep starting new series, but hardly ever finish (or at least get up to date) with them. The first post about the challenge is here.

Right now I have at least 63 (rather more, because I'm sure I forgot a series or two) series going and there's no real end for many of those in sight (other than Harry Potter, that is). Be it series with the same characters, the same topic, by the same author...

I was thinking about doing this challenge over 6 months - but with the option for an extension (like another 6 months or so), as I know that 6 months will never be enough for me to finish even a fourth of my series - and I assume I'm not the only one who is in such a situation ;)

I thought about doing the first 6 month (Yes, it sounds as if I'm already planning the extension, huh? LOL) between December 1, 2007 and May 31, 2008.

The basic rules would be:

1. There is no set number of books you have to read, you just have to read the books in order to be all up-to-date with the series.

2. Post your review of the books on your blog, no matter how long.

3. Post a comment here when you have finished a series and when you have finished all the series you wanted to finish for the challenge.

4. Always remember this is for fun!

So, the basic things appear to be set (? if not let me know) - with one big exception, the name! Does anyone have an idea for a name?
I only come up with weird or stupid names (see the title for this post - or "All Those Series Challenge"), but I'd prefer a better one ;)
I'm open for suggestions!

Also, here is an incomplete list of all the series I have going right now...

~~~~~~~~~~

I have been asked whether trilogies and the like would also be okay for this challenge. The Garden Trilogy was mentioned as an example...

Of course they are okay. As long as the books are linked in some way (I know the Garden trilogy - I already read the first two and will maybe read the 3rd for the challenge, actually), I'd consider it a series :-)

29 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea for a challenge. I have so many series started, it's not funny. Please do add me to your blogroll, but only if I can add you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the challenge idea :) I'm excited about this challenge as I hope to read quite a few series during those 6 months!
    Sure you can add me! I already added you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to re-read all the Harry Potter series once the final one comes out in a few weeks time - this will be the perfect venue to do that. So I am in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Name suggestion:
    "I always wanted to finish that series"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm such a sucker for a good series! I love your challenge - I'm sure my list will keep me going thru a couple of your 'extensions' too!!

    Now...to list them all and see what I've committed to...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll probably join in and finish reading Sue Grafton's Alphabet Series. I wanted to finish it this year, but I'm still only up to I.

    btw, you have really been reading a lot lately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm up for it! I'm with you - I have a ton that i want to finish but so busy starting new ones I forget! haha!
    Umm...not sure of a name...can't think of any myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea. I would definitely want to participate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would love to join this challenge. i have about 10 different series i have going right now. thanks victoria merriweather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just join in, Victoria :-) I'll be curious to read what series you're reading ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great idea! I would love to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Series are the main type of books I read, I'd love to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in. I will be tackling the Harry Potters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is this how I sign up. I only have a few unfinsihed. I usually can't wait to finsih a series unless it is something like 10 books long and then it takes a while.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Count me in. I have a lot of reading to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kathrin,

    I'd like to join this challenge, too. You can find my book list at:

    http://passionforthepage.blogspot.com/2007/10/series-challenge.html

    Thanks!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this is a great idea! I want to reread a lot of series--the Narnia Chronicles, Harry Potter, Dragonlance, Stephen King's Dark Tower...The question is how will I choose which ones to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just came across this challenge today.....please count me in. Now I have to choose between many,many series begun and not completed yet!!! I'll let you know as I choose one or two (if I can limit it to that...)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wan't going to join. I wasn't going to join.
    I just read at literary feline's blog that this just started, and I just started the 3rd book in a series of 6 that I am really enjoying, so here I am, with a few series begun and thinking they are books I really want to read.
    I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Kathrin. I am keeping my list open for this challenge and hope that will be alright. Whatever I can read off of my already established list of series I have already started, I will count toward the challenge.

    I finished my first series for the challenge quite by accident! I had actually figured I wouldn't get to complete any series this month. You can find my review for the final-for-now Theda Krakow mystery here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did I forget to sign up? I saw literary feline's post and it reminded me about it, and I've read one already! Here's my list of potential books: http://raidergirl3-anadventureinreading.blogspot.com/2007/12/challenge-series-challenge.html

    Nice and flexible, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am finally up-to-date on the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (the paperbacks anyway). It has taken me ages to read the 30 already out and I read #29 and #30 for this challenge. There is a new hardback (Making Money) out but I am holding off till paperback as usual to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just read Ironside by Holly Black which completes The Modern Faery series by her as well. I'm really enjoying this challenge so far!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yikes, I just realized the challenge ends in May, that it's not a whole year long! I finished K in Sue Grafton's series, I still have a ways to go!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hoping this is the right place to post! I finished my first series for the challenge. I finished the last two books of the Abhorsen Trilogy (also known as the Old Kingdom books). My review for the last book is here:
    http://back-to-books.blogspot.com/2008/01/10-abhorsen.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Finished another series! I finished the Silverwing Trilogy plus the prequel by Kenneth Oppel. Loved them!

    That makes two series I've completed so far for the challenge and I'm on my last book for another!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I finished New Moon and Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer and am now caught up on that series. Just one more series to go and I am done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad for this challenge. I've gotten caught up on three series: Lily Bard, Shopaholic, and the Gardella Vampire Chronicles. Now I'm going to try and keep moving on a few other series. I don't think I'll finish another series, but I'm going to keep on reading.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've caught up on three series I was working on – the Circle trilogy by Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber’s knitting series, and The Cliff Janway bookman series by John Dunning. You can find my challenge wrap up here

    Thanks for hosting this challenge, Kathrin! I enjoyed picking and reading the books for it and catching up with some old friends.

    ReplyDelete