Sunday, June 17, 2007

Crocodile On A Sandbank

Number: 54
Title: Crocodile On A Sandbank
Author: Elizabeth Peters
Started: June 01, 2007
Finished: June 17, 2007
Time: 9 hours and 51 minutes
Genre: mystery

Where The Book Came From: Audible.de

First Sentence: Amelia Peabody embarks upon her debut Egyptian adventure armed with unshakeable self-confidence, a journal to record her thoughts, and, of course, a sturdy umbrella.

Cover Blurb: [from Audible.de] Amelia Peabody inherited two things from her father: a considerable fortune and an unbendable will. The first allowed her to indulge in her life's passion. Without the second, the mummy's curse would have made corpses of them all.

Reason For Reading: This series was recommended to me quite a while ago and I thought it would be a great addition to the RBL Summer Mystery Reading Challenge.

Comments: I can't believe I waited so long to get to this first adventure of Amelia Peabody! Though it had first been recommended to me at least 3 years ago, I didn't get around to reading it until now. And even then only when I got a subscription to audible.de and found that they have a lot of the books, if not all of them. I assume I'll get one each month now, so that I can revisit Amelia as often as possible.

Amelia is a 30-something single woman from England who sets out for Egypt upon inheriting her father's money (not that she hadn't already inherited his love for ancient history ;) ).

In this installment, she doesn't have to find a murderer, but it still has quite a mystery in it. It involves an inheritance, a poor girl, a mummy and some British noble men...

And I would always recommend it, as it is just great! The characters came to live for me and I would download the second right away if I wouldn't "have" to listen to another audio book first ;)

Favorite Part: Whenever Emerson and Amelia were talking, actually. They just have a way of talking to each other that makes me crack up.

Miscellaneous: The author has a Ph.D. in Egyptology, so she sure knows what she's talking about.

For more info you might be interested in www.ameliapeabody.com.

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment