Friday, June 22, 2007

Kitty and The Midnight Hour


Number: 59
Title: Kitty and The Midnight Hour
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Started: June 20, 2007
Finished: June 22, 2007
Pages: 259
Genre: paranormal
ISBN: 0-446-61641-9

Language: English

Where The Book Came From: Ordered it through Amazon.de on one of my book buying sprees (I've had too many lately, I admit it, at least I'm getting a few through Tauschticket now...).

First Sentence: I tossed my backpack in the corner of the studio and high-fived Rodney on his way out.

Cover Blurb: Vampires. Werewolves. Talk Radio.

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station - and a werewolf in the closet. Sick of lame song requests, she accidentally starts "The Midnight Hour", a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged.

After desperate vampires, werewolves, and witches across the country begin calling in to share their woes, her new show is a raging success. But it's Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may havebitten off more than she can chew...


Reason For Reading: It was recommended to me and I thought I could use some paranormal. Especially because I can't even remember whether I ever read something about were-animals before...

Comments: I couldn't put this book down, it was so exciting and full of suspense!

Kitty is a DJ and radio show host for the public - and in secrecy, she's also a werewolf, part of a pack. And she is trying her best to keep it secret until one night she gets a call from a listener on air asking her specific questions about life as a supernatural being. While trying to give advice (all without revealing her true identity), her ratings go up and both the alpha male of her pack and Arture, the local vampire Master are not too happy about her popularity.

When on top of that a hired assassin and werewolf hunter is after her, she gets involved with the police. The same cops now ask her for help in a series of unsolved murders, because now that the public is aware of the existence of werewolves and vampired, they think it might have been a werewolf who commited the murders.

I'm still trying to figure out whether it could be considered a (paranormal) mystery series, with this first one simply being dedicated to character development rather than the mystery per se - which added a lot to my rating! - or whether it is a paranormal series.

Favorite Part: The conversation on air about (and later with) Cormac (the werewolf hunter) whether he ever had a relationship with a werewolf.

Miscellaneous: I couldn't put it down even though I was tired last night. I have a sleeping disorder and so I'd normally cherish each and any chance I could get to sleep, but it was just so exciting!

Rating: A-

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of Kitty! I really enjoy Carrie Vaughn's series so far. I haven't yet read her latest, but I hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I loved the book and I hope to find the money to get the second during my free time in summer LOL
    So much for not-so-much-book-buying...

    ReplyDelete