Friday, June 8, 2007

A few things of my favorite things

After reading Stephanie and Nyssaneala's responses to this really good meme at Book-A-Rama I haven't been tagged (for some - lucky - reason, I hardly ever get tagged), so I can choose which memes to take on.

A book that made you cry: Pretty much everything about the Shoa (the Holocaust) - I think it started with Judith Kerr's books and then went on with lots of other books written for YA. And sometimes tragic love stories... I admit, those are two very different genres!

A book that scared you: As above, books about the Shoa - I mean, it could happen again, theoretically! And this is really, really scary to me!

A book that made you laugh: Most of Sophie Kinsella's books and the Bidget Jones's Diary books by Helen Fielding. Those are simply hilarious (along with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books) and I can hardly get enough of them!

A book that disgusted you: The Treatment by Mo Hayder - bad writing always disgusts me...

A book you loved in elementary school: Technically, it is more of a series: Enid Blyton's Malory Towers books. I read them over and over again! (And still do!)

A book you loved in middle school: Henry Winterfeld's Roman mysteries - they were awesome, and was I glad we read them at school not long after I had read them for sheer pleasure!

A book you loved in high school: Oh, that's a hard one! Probably Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. I loved this book and was shocked it took me so long to get to it!

A book you hated in high school: The Terrors of Ice and Darkness by Christoph Ransmayr - simply horrible, and I think I only read about 5 pages. And it took me 8 weeks to get this far!

A book you loved in college: Among others, but the probably least well known would be Lope de Vega's Fuente Ovejuna (Thanks a lot, Ms Preuss!)

A book that challenged your identity: No book in particular, I'd say. More the sum of books I have read it the past 3-4 years or so. If I had read them earlier in life, I might be at a different point in life now.

A series that you love: Well, I definitely can't go with only one, but I'll try to limit myself. I'm a series reader ;-) First off, I have to mention the Harry Potter books, and The Princess Diaries books by Meg Cabot.

Your favorite horror book: Carrie by Stephen King - this book is great :)

Your favorite science fiction book: Actually, I have never really read real sci-fi, I think...

Your favorite fantasy: All the Harry Potter books! You just have to love them!

Your favorite mystery: Umm - I'm a mystery addict. Do you really think I could limit this to one?!?

Your favorite biography: Judith Kerr's trilogy on WW2 was awesome!

Your favorite "coming of age" book: If it counts I'd say To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and definitely The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. And then there are a few German books no one else knows that weren't bad either.

Your favorite classic: Pretty much everything by William Shakespeare and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

Your favorite romance book: As long as the story isn't too cheesy and the characters may exist in real life I might read it. I can't stand the cheesy and "dripping with slime and oil" books!

Your favorite book not on this list: The Modesty Blaise graphic novels by Jim Holdaway & Peter O'Donnell. I borrowed them from a friend and I have to say they are awesome! As was Maus by Art Spiegelman, btw :)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading through the answers to this meme. It's very revealing. :-)

    The Holocaust was definitely very scary--and still genocide exists today. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete