Saturday, January 17, 2009

Oscar Wilde: A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE



Oscar Wilde
A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE
Penguin Classics
94 pages
ISBN: 978-0-140-62245-4


This was actually my first book for 2009, but what could I possibly say that hasn't been said about one of Oscar Wilde's works yet?
I've asked myself this question for the past week or two and I can't come up with an answer. Of course I could state how great his writing is, but that's no secret. I could also say how Wilde's thoughts are ahead of his time. But that's also not exactly new. So what is there to do other than give a brief summary? And this is exactly what I will do. Of course, if anyone has some more thoughts on A Woman of No Importance, go ahead and comment!

For a mere 94 pages and a time frame of only 24 hours, Wilde added a lot of action. When Gerard Arbuthnot meets Lord Illingworth at Hunstanton Chase, he is offered the position as Lord Illingworth's secretary. As he feels he is not educated enough, Gerard is overtly excited and thinks it might be a way to enter the sophisticated society. It is also a way for him to leave England and distance himself at least geographically from a young lady he finds interesting, as he thinks he is not good enough for her. When Gerard Arbuthnot's mother finds out about Lord Illingworth's offer, though, she objects and tries to persuade her son not to leave with him, as he is not what he seems to be.

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. A great review nonetheless! I think I'll have to pick this one up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, saveophelia! I can only recommend A Woman of No Importance, I love it!
    Actually, I am going around and promoting this book all the time :D

    ReplyDelete